Why Your First Website Doesn't Need to Cost Money (and What Actually Works)

Why Your First Website Doesn't Need to Cost Money (and What Actually Works)

I built my first website in 2015 using WordPress.com's free tier. It looked terrible. The site was slow, the customization options were laughable, and I couldn't even add a simple contact form without upgrading to their paid plan. I spent three months learning I'd wasted my time, then paid money anyway.

That failure taught me something valuable: free website builders have gotten genuinely good. Not "free but gimped" — actually good. I've since built websites for myself, friends, and a couple of small client projects using completely free tools, and some of them outperform paid alternatives.

The trick isn't picking the fanciest platform. It's understanding what each free tool actually excels at, where it'll disappoint you, and when you genuinely need to pay. I'm going to walk you through exactly what I've learned, the hard way, so you don't repeat my mistakes.

The Real Cost of Free (Spoiler: It's Not Just Money)

Before we dive into specific tools, let's be honest about what "free" means here.

Free website builders always want something in return. Usually, it's one of three things: they'll plaster their branding all over your site (Wix loves this), they'll restrict features until you upgrade (Weebly), or they'll limit your storage and bandwidth (Netlify's free tier). Sometimes all three.

The cost isn't dollars. It's time, flexibility, or credibility. My first WordPress.com site had "Powered by WordPress.com" at the bottom. Looked unprofessional. I hated it.

What matters is figuring out which limitation actually matters for what you're building. A portfolio site? Branding doesn't hurt much. A small business site? You'll probably want to remove it. A blog? It might not matter at all.

What You Actually Get for Free

Most free website builders include hosting (your files live on their servers), a domain name (usually a subdomain like yourname.weebly.com), basic templates, and a drag-and-drop editor. That's genuinely more than you'd expect.

The things you almost always don't get: custom domain mapping without paying extra, advanced analytics, premium support, SSL certificates (okay, most now include this), email integration, or the ability to install custom code. Some tools restrict your storage to 500MB or 1GB, which is fine for text and images but limiting if you want to host videos.

The Hidden Time Cost

I used to think time spent learning free tools was "wasted" compared to paying for something "professional." I was completely wrong. Learning Webflow took me two weeks. Learning Wix took me three days. The free option I chose (Webflow's free tier) ended up being far more powerful, even though the learning curve was steeper.

But here's the thing: I had time. If you're building a website this week and launching it tomorrow, Wix is your friend. If you can spend a few weekends learning, Webflow or even static site generators might be worth it.

The Best Free Website Builders, Ranked by What They're Actually Good At

For Speed and Simplicity: Wix Free

Wix is the easiest website builder I've ever used. Seriously. You pick a template, drag elements around, and your site is done. I built a functioning portfolio in an afternoon using Wix's free tier.

The catch? Wix's free tier is incredibly limited. You get Wix branding (a banner at the top of your site), limited storage, no custom domain (you're stuck with yourname.wix.com), and invasive ads. The editor is actually great, but the restrictions feel deliberately frustrating to push you toward paying.

When to use it: You need a website in a day or two, you're okay with a Wix subdomain, and you probably aren't running a business yet. Students, hobby projects, portfolios — Wix works here.

For Flexibility and Control: Webflow Free

Webflow is what I use now for anything serious. It's a visual website builder, but it actually lets you code if you want to. The free tier is genuinely generous: unlimited bandwidth, no Webflow branding, and you can connect a custom domain (though you pay the registrar, not Webflow).

The learning curve is real, though. Webflow thinks in terms of layout grids, breakpoints, and component systems. If you've ever used CSS, it'll click. If not, expect to watch some tutorials. I spent a week learning Webflow. Worth it.

The restrictions on the free tier are mostly around client projects (you can't transfer ownership, which matters if you're building for someone else) and some advanced features like e-commerce. For personal projects, it's nearly unlimited.

When to use it: You want control and don't mind learning. You're building something you might iterate on. You want your site to look unique, not like a thousand other Wix sites.

For Bloggers: Blogger (Yes, It Still Exists)

Google's Blogger is criminally underrated. It's free, it has zero branding (your site is yours), and it has solid SEO built in. I started my actual blog on Blogger and never left because, honestly, there's no reason to.

The templates are dated. The customization is more limited than WordPress. But it works. It's reliable. Google won't shut it down (they own it). And you can connect your own domain for free (Google Domains was free; now you'll buy elsewhere and point to Blogger).

When to use it: You want to write and not fuss with technology. You don't need e-commerce or complex features. You're building a personal blog.

For Code-First Builders: Netlify + Eleventy (or Next.js)

This isn't for everyone. But if you know even a little code, Netlify's free tier is incredible. You write your site in HTML/CSS/JavaScript, push it to GitHub, and Netlify automatically deploys it. Free hosting, free SSL, free custom domain pointing, automatic updates every time you commit code.

I built a site this way recently and it's blazingly fast. The free tier only limits bandwidth (which is honestly generous), and if you go over, you just upgrade. There's no artificial restriction like other builders.

The catch is that you're writing code or using a static site generator (Eleventy, Hugo, Jekyll). That takes technical knowledge. But if you have it, nothing beats Netlify's free tier for performance and flexibility.

When to use it: You're comfortable with Git, terminals, and basic web development. You want a site that's lightning-fast. You're building for yourself or open-source projects.

Platform Best For Branding Learning Curve Custom Domain
Wix Free Speed, simplicity Wix banner included Very low No (paid only)
Webflow Free Flexibility, design None Medium-high Yes (free)
Blogger Blogging None Low Yes (free)
Netlify + Code Performance, control None High Yes (free)

The Step-by-Step Process I Actually Follow

Here's how I approach building a free website now, after years of trial and error.

Step 1: Define What You're Actually Building

Before touching a single tool, I ask myself five questions:

  • Is this a portfolio, blog, small business site, or hobby project?
  • Will I need e-commerce or payments? (If yes, most free tiers won't cut it)
  • Do I need a professional domain name, or is a subdomain fine?
  • How much time can I invest in learning the platform?
  • Will I iterate and update this regularly, or build it once and leave it?

These answers dictate everything. A blog? Blogger. A portfolio? Webflow. A quick business site? Wix. Fast, technical project? Netlify.

Step 2: Start with the Free Tier (Not the Trial)

Important distinction: A free tier you can use forever is not the same as a trial that expires. I always start with the actual free tier, not a trial period. If the tool can't prove itself within the limits it promises, I move on.

Wix's free tier is permanent. Webflow's free tier is permanent. Netlify's free tier is permanent. I won't know how good a tool is if I'm always watching the clock on a trial.

Step 3: Don't Obsess Over the Design First

Pick a template that's close to what you want, then build the content. I used to spend hours finding the "perfect" template, then realize halfway through that the structure didn't match my needs. Now I pick a template in 20 minutes and move on. You can refine design later. Content matters more.

Step 4: Connect Your Domain (If You Care)

Most free builders let you connect a custom domain you own elsewhere. You buy the domain from Google Domains, Namecheap, or whoever (usually $10–15/year), then point it to your free site. This costs money, but it's not expensive, and it gets rid of the "yourname.wix.com" thing.

You could also skip this and accept the subdomain. Honestly, if your site isn't for professional purposes, the subdomain doesn't matter as much as you think.

Pro Tip: Don't buy a domain until you've actually built the site and lived with it for a week. You might change your mind about the name, the platform, or whether you actually need a site at all. Domains lock in the commitment. Wait until you're sure.

The Mistakes I See People Make (and How to Avoid Them)

Mistake 1: Choosing based on "most features" instead of "best for my use case." WordPress is powerful, but if you're just starting out, it's overkill. Wix is limited, but if you need a website in a day, it's perfect. Match the tool to the task, not the other way around.

Mistake 2: Worrying about "looking professional" when you're still learning. Your first website won't be beautiful. Mine looked like something from 2010. That's fine. Build it, launch it, learn from it. Perfectionism is the enemy of starting.

Mistake 3: Not checking mobile responsiveness. Build your site on desktop, then open it on your phone. If it looks broken, something's wrong. Most modern builders handle this automatically, but not always. Test it yourself.

Mistake 4: Ignoring SEO from the start. You don't need advanced SEO tools. But you should write descriptive page titles, use heading tags properly, and include alt text for images. These take five minutes and matter for search visibility.

Mistake 5: Building on a platform you don't understand yet. Spend an hour just clicking around and exploring the builder before you start your actual site. Understand where things are, what options exist, what you can and can't do. This saves hours of frustration later.

When You Should Actually Pay (And When You Shouldn't)

I'm not anti-paid. Sometimes paying makes sense. But most people upgrade too early, out of impatience or insecurity.

Upgrade if: You've exhausted the free tier's features and genuinely need more. Your site is making you money or bringing in clients, and the upgrade directly helps. You need e-commerce functionality. The free tier's branding really is hurting your credibility.

Don't upgrade if: You haven't actually finished building your site yet. You're upgrading because you're nervous about looking "cheap." You're paying for features you'll never use. You're still figuring out what you want your site to do.

I used Webflow's free tier for six months before I even thought about upgrading. At that point, I knew exactly what I needed and could justify the cost. Too many people upgrade on day one because they feel like they should.

My Take

Building a free website in 2024 is genuinely viable. The tools are good enough that the only reason to pay upfront is if you need something specific (e-commerce, a custom domain, removing branding). For everything else — portfolios, blogs, small business sites, hobby projects — free works.

What surprised me most is how good Webflow's free tier is. I expected to hit limitations immediately. I didn't. I went months without needing to upgrade. What disappointed me is how much the free tiers of Wix and Weebly push you toward paid plans with artificial restrictions. They could be more generous, but they'd rather be annoying.

This is actually for everyone: students building portfolios (use Wix or Webflow), professionals wanting a side project (Webflow or Netlify), bloggers (Blogger), and people who just want a web presence without spending money (any of these). The only people this isn't for are those building serious e-commerce or SaaS products. Those need more power than free tiers offer.

Verdict

Just build it. Pick Wix if you want speed, Webflow if you want control, Blogger if you're writing, or Netlify if you can code. Stop researching and start building. The worst website you launch is better than the perfect website you never finish planning.

And honestly? It won't be perfect. Mine still isn't. But it works, it's online, and it cost me nothing except time and maybe $15 for a domain if I wanted one. That's more than fair.


Published by Dattatray Dagale • 22 August 2026

Post a Comment

0 Comments