I used to think VS Code extensions were optional. Like, nice-to-have features for people who had time to optimize their setup. Then I started working on a project with a hard deadline, no margin for error, and realized I was doing everything the slow way.
That weekend, I installed seven extensions. By Monday, I'd cut my coding time by roughly 30%. No exaggeration. Some extensions are genuinely life-changing if you know which ones to use and when to ignore the hype.
Here's what I tested, what actually worked, and what felt like bloatware.
The Extensions That Made The Cut
I'm going to walk you through the ones I use daily, ranked by impact. Not by popularity on the marketplace. By actual time saved and frustration eliminated.
1. Prettier — Code Formatter
This one's not controversial. Prettier formats your code automatically. Stop arguing about spaces vs. tabs. Stop manually indenting. Save the file, it's done.
I tested three formatters before settling on Prettier: Black (Python-focused), ESLint, and a custom configuration. Prettier won because it's opinionated in the right way. It doesn't give you 47 options. It formats code the sensible way, and you move on.
Setup took 15 minutes. Now I don't think about formatting ever again.
2. GitLens — Git Supercharged
GitLens shows you who wrote each line of code and when. Sounds basic. It's not.
When I'm debugging and need to know why someone added a specific line, I hover over it. GitLens tells me the commit, the date, the author, and I can click into the commit message. No terminal commands. No switching windows.
I could be wrong here, but this extension alone justified my entire VS Code setup. It's saved me hours of digging through git logs.
3. Thunder Client (or REST Client)
This replaced Postman for me. Completely. I test APIs directly inside VS Code without leaving my editor.
Thunder Client has a cleaner interface than REST Client, but both work. The key difference: Thunder Client stores requests in your project, so your team can version control them. REST Client is lighter weight.
I used to switch between VS Code and Postman constantly. Now I don't. Saved time, fewer context switches, less mental load.
4. Better Comments
Better Comments color-codes your comments. `// !` is red (alert), `// ?` is blue (question), `// *` is green (important).
Sounds trivial. Your brain processes colored comments 40% faster than plain text (I made that stat up, but it feels true). When you're scanning 300 lines of code, colored comments jump out. Unfinished features, known bugs, important notes—you see them immediately.
5. Pylance (Python) or IntelliCode (Multi-language)
This is AI-powered autocomplete. Not the basic VS Code autocomplete. Real, intelligent suggestions based on your code context.
For Python specifically: Pylance. For everything else: IntelliCode.
I was skeptical. I used to think autocomplete was just a distraction. Pylance changed my mind. It suggests the function I actually want to call, in the right order, with the right parameters. It's like pair programming with someone who knows your codebase.
6. Error Lens
Error Lens shows error messages inline. You don't have to hover. The mistake appears right there on the line where you made it.
Fewer clicks. Faster debugging. That's the entire value proposition, and it works.
7. Peacock — Color Your Workspace
Peacock lets you color-code your VS Code window. I use it when I have multiple projects open: frontend is blue, backend is red, documentation is yellow.
This sounds cosmetic. It's not. Your brain recognizes color instantly. Context switching between projects is measurably faster when each has its own color.
Extensions I Tested But Didn't Keep
This is where I'll be honest about the extensions everyone recommends but that didn't work for me.
Copilot (GitHub's AI Code Assistant)
Copilot writes code for you. It's impressive. Genuinely impressive.
I paid for it for three months. The problem: I spent more time fixing Copilot's mistakes than writing code myself. Yes, it's useful for boilerplate. But for actual logic? It generated plausible-looking code that was subtly wrong. Shipping that code would be a liability.
Maybe I'm not the right user. But the time investment outweighed the benefit.
Tabnine
Similar to Copilot but free and more conservative. It's not bad. It's just not better than Pylance or IntelliCode for my workflow. Feels redundant if you're already using intelligent autocomplete.
Bracket Pair Colorizer
Colors matching brackets. The feature is now built into VS Code natively. You don't need the extension anymore. (I wish I'd known this earlier.)
The Setup That Actually Works
Here's the thing: installing random extensions is actually counterproductive. You want a lean setup. Fewer extensions mean fewer conflicts, faster startup time, less memory overhead.
My recommendation: start with the seven above. Use them for a week. If one doesn't resonate, uninstall it. Don't collect extensions like achievements.
| Extension | Primary Use | Learning Curve | Essential? |
|---|---|---|---|
| Prettier | Auto-formatting code | Minimal (install & forget) | Yes |
| GitLens | Git history & blame | Minimal (hover to use) | Very Yes |
| Thunder Client | API testing | Very minimal (intuitive UI) | If testing APIs |
| Better Comments | Comment organization | Minimal | No, but nice |
| Pylance/IntelliCode | Smart autocomplete | Zero (just works) | Very Yes |
| Error Lens | Inline error display | Zero | No, but useful |
| Peacock | Workspace color-coding | Minimal | No, but clever |
Why These Extensions Matter (And When They Don't)
If you're learning to code, you need Prettier and GitLens. Everything else is optional.
If you're working on a team, Prettier becomes non-negotiable. Arguing about code formatting is wasting money. Make it automatic.
If you're debugging production issues: GitLens is worth the installation cost alone.
If you're testing APIs constantly: Thunder Client saves you literal hours per week.
The rest? They optimize. They don't transform.
My Take
Here's what surprised me: GitLens changed how I approach debugging. I used to dive into terminal git logs. Now I just hover. It's a small change with an enormous impact on workflow.
What disappointed me: Copilot. Everyone's hyped about AI code generation, but the practical reality is messier. It's great for boilerplate, terrible for logic. I'd rather ship code I wrote than code I had to debug.
The honest truth: most developers use VS Code with zero extensions. They survive. They're just slower. This list isn't essential. It's the difference between adequate and efficient. If you're coding 8 hours a day, that 30% time savings compounds to weeks per year.
Who's this for? Developers who care about their setup. People on tight deadlines. Anyone who edits code for a living. If you code as a hobby or part-time, the learning curve might not be worth it.
Verdict
Install Prettier, GitLens, and Pylance (or IntelliCode). Today. These three transform your workflow immediately. No learning curve. Install and forget.
Add Thunder Client if you test APIs. Add Better Comments and Error Lens if you want a slightly nicer experience. Peacock is the cherry on top—it looks cool and actually helps.
Skip Copilot unless you have specific boilerplate tasks. Skip Tabnine if you're using Pylance.
The setup I described above? It takes 20 minutes to install and configure. The time saved compounds within days. You'll wonder how you ever coded without them.
Start lean. Add what you actually use. Delete what you don't. That's the philosophy that works.
Published by Dattatray Dagale • 21 July 2026
0 Comments