My Windows 11 PC used to take 90 seconds to boot. Ninety seconds. I'd make coffee, check my phone, and *still* wait for the desktop to appear. I was convinced it was just "how Windows works now" — bloated, slow, inevitable.
Then I stopped accepting that narrative and actually investigated. Turns out, most of the slowdown wasn't Windows being inherently broken. It was me (and probably you) letting it accumulate garbage like digital hoarding.
This post is what I wish someone had shown me six months ago. Not the "disable everything" nuclear options you'll find on sketchy forums. Real, safe, explainable fixes that actually work.
1. Startup Programs Are the Silent Killer
This one's obvious once you know about it, but criminally ignored by most users.
Every time you install software—Discord, Slack, Spotify, that printer utility—it politely asks permission to auto-start. Most people click "OK" without reading. Six months later, 47 programs are launching in the background before you've even opened a browser.
Where to Actually Fix This
Don't dig through Services (God, that's a nightmare). Go to Settings → Apps → Startup instead. Windows 11 finally made this accessible. You'll see CPU and RAM impact ratings next to each app—some show "High" impact, which is helpful. I found that Nvidia's GeForce Experience, Corsair's RGB software, and some cloud backup tools were launching automatically. Disabled them. Boot time dropped to 32 seconds.
The ones to keep? Windows Defender, your antivirus (if you use one), and maybe OneDrive if you sync files. Everything else? Probably doesn't need to start automatically.
The One Exception
If you use a tool professionally every single day—like Slack for work—leaving it in startup isn't the worst call. But even then, Slack runs fine when you launch it manually. The seconds you save boot time dwarf the three seconds you wait to open Slack.
2. Background Apps Are Eating Your RAM
Windows 11 lets apps run in the background even when you're not using them. It's designed to keep notifications fresh and sync data, but honestly? Most apps don't need this permission.
I used to think this was a minor setting. Then I checked Resource Monitor one day and saw Spotify consuming 300 MB of RAM in the background. Spotify. Which I wasn't even using.
How to Disable It (The Right Way)
Settings → Apps → App permissions → Background apps. Go through the list and toggle off anything that doesn't need to run when you're not actively using it. Email? Maybe keep it on if you want notifications. That RSS reader app? Off. Streaming service? Off.
I'm selective here. I leave on:
- Windows Update
- Mail (if you use it)
- OneDrive
- My antivirus
The Notification Trade-Off
You might miss notifications from apps. I decided that was fine. Slack still notifies me when I'm inside Slack. Twitter doesn't need to ping me in real-time. This is actually healthier anyway, if I'm being honest.
3. Storage Space Creep (And Why It Actually Matters)
I used to think storage space didn't affect performance much. Wrong. When your drive gets beyond 85% full, Windows slows down noticeably because it can't write temporary files efficiently.
My 512 GB SSD was 94% full last year. I blamed Windows. It was me.
Where the Space Actually Goes
Not your obvious folders. Your Downloads folder probably has four years of installers you'll never use. Your Documents has old project files. But the sneaky culprits?
- Windows.old folder — Left behind after updates. Can be 15–30 GB. You can delete this (it's safe after 30 days).
- Temp files — Windows has two temp folders that accumulate junk. %temp% folder, Temp folder in Windows.
- Cache folders — Browser caches, app caches, thumbnail caches. Gigabytes of data you don't need.
- Duplicate files — I found three copies of the same video project. How? I have no idea.
The Safe Cleanup Method
Use Windows's built-in Storage Sense (Settings → System → Storage → Storage Sense). Turn it on and let it auto-delete temp files and recycle bin contents monthly. Safe. Effective. Set it and forget it.
For deeper cleaning, Disk Cleanup (search for it in Start menu) works fine. I avoid third-party "cleaner" apps—they're often overkill and some are sketchy.
4. Visual Effects That Look Pretty But Cost You FPS
Windows 11 ships with animations, transparency effects, and visual flourishes. They're lovely. They're also eating CPU cycles your applications could use.
I could be wrong here, but I swear the animations got more aggressive in recent updates.
What to Actually Disable
Settings → System → Display → scroll down to "Visual effects." Click "Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows."
You'll see options like:
- Animate windows when minimizing/maximizing
- Fade or slide menus into view
- Smooth-scroll list boxes
- Show shadows under mouse pointer
The impact? Snappier interface. Less noticeable than the startup fix, but combined with other tweaks, it adds up.
The Transparency Debate
Windows 11's glass morphism design (blurred transparency effects) is one of my favorite parts of the OS. But if you're really optimizing, Settings → Personalization → Colors → toggle "Transparency effects" to Off. Gains? Maybe 2-3% CPU relief. Worth it? Depends if you care more about looks or speed. I left it on because the performance difference is negligible on my machine.
5. Malware and Hidden Miners (The Uncomfortable Truth)
A slow PC sometimes isn't a slow PC. It's a compromised PC.
This isn't scaremongering. Crypto miners, ad-injecting malware, and aggressive spyware specifically hide in the background consuming resources. Your antivirus might miss them.
The Diagnostic Test
Open Task Manager → Performance → CPU. Watch it idle. If you're seeing consistent 20%+ CPU usage with nothing running, something's wrong. Same with Disk—if your drive is constantly hammering away with no apps open, that's suspicious.
Run a full antivirus scan (use Windows Defender—it's actually good now, I used to dismiss it). If that finds nothing, try Malwarebytes (free version works, paid is better). Don't dismiss this step thinking "that won't be me." It almost was for me.
Prevention Is Easier Than Detection
Don't download executables from random blogs. Use official sources: Microsoft Store, GitHub, publisher websites. Avoid pirated software and cracked games. I know that's boring advice, but I found a miner on my gaming PC once after installing what I thought was a legit (but pirated) game. Restored from backup. Learned my lesson.
6. Old Drivers and System Files Creating Bottlenecks
This sounds like tech support nonsense until you actually check. Outdated drivers—especially GPU drivers—can cause stuttering, lag, and general sluggishness.
GPU Drivers (The Most Impactful)
If you have an Nvidia or AMD GPU, go to their driver download sites and check if you're current. Don't trust Windows Update for GPU drivers—manufacturers release updates more frequently.
Nvidia: nvidia.com/Download/driverDetails.aspx AMD: amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software
Updated my GPU driver last month and noticed gaming performance jumped 8-12%. Browser also felt snappier (because it uses GPU acceleration).
Chipset and Other Drivers
Your motherboard chipset driver matters too. Check your PC manufacturer's support page (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.) and download the latest chipset drivers. Install them. Reboot.
I used to skip this. Won't anymore.
Windows Updates (Actually Install Them)
I used to delay updates because they seemed to slow things down. Turns out, not installing updates made things slow. Windows 11 releases patches for performance issues regularly. Go to Settings → System → Windows Update and install everything.
| Issue | Impact | Difficulty | Time Investment |
|---|---|---|---|
| Startup Programs | High (30-60 sec boot gain) | Very Easy | 5 minutes |
| Background Apps | Medium (1-2 GB RAM freed) | Easy | 10 minutes |
| Disk Space Cleanup | Medium (noticeable if >90% full) | Easy | 15-30 minutes |
| Visual Effects | Low (2-5% CPU savings) | Very Easy | 3 minutes |
| Malware Scan | High (if infected; none if clean) | Easy | 30-60 minutes |
| Driver Updates | Medium (GPU driver especially) | Medium | 20 minutes |
My Take
What surprised me most? How much performance I gained from stuff Windows 11 just... doesn't tell you about. Startup programs get bundled with software installers silently. Background app permissions default to on. Nobody reads those settings menus because they're dense and boring.
What disappointed me: Microsoft could make this easier. A first-run wizard asking "Which apps do you actually want auto-starting?" would save millions of users from thinking their PC is dying.
The honest truth is this: Windows 11 itself isn't slow. But it ships in a state designed for enterprise and consumer bloatware, not performance. You have to actively optimize it. That's not fair, but that's where we are.
This guide is for people who don't want to nuke their entire system (no registry hacks, no sketchy .bat files) but also don't want to suffer through a slow PC for no reason. If you follow these six steps, your PC will feel noticeably faster. Not hypothetically. Actually.
Verdict
Do these tweaks if your PC feels sluggish. Start with startup programs (biggest bang for effort), then background apps, then storage cleanup. The rest are optional but worthwhile. Total time investment: about an hour. Performance gain: measurable on day one.
Don't expect miracles if your hardware is genuinely dated (eight-year-old mechanical drive, ancient CPU). Windows 11 has minimum specs for a reason. But if you're running decent hardware and your PC is slow, these fixes will help.
One last thing: after you finish, reboot. Always reboot after making these changes. You'd be surprised how many issues resolve themselves with a clean restart.
Published by Dattatray Dagale • 07 October 2026
0 Comments