I spent $200 on my first website in 2015. A domain, hosting, WordPress theme — the whole package. Then I watched my friend build something better in a weekend for free using tools that didn't exist back then.
That stung. Not just the wasted money, but the fact that I'd convinced myself you needed to pay to play. You don't. Not anymore.
Here's the thing though: "free" doesn't mean low-quality or amateur. It means you're making smarter choices about where the money actually matters. I'm going to walk you through exactly how I'd build a website from scratch today — the real steps, the actual tools I'd use, and honestly, where I might consider spending money if I had to.
Why Most People Overthink This (And Why You Shouldn't)
The biggest lie in web building is that you need technical skills. The second biggest lie is that free options are always compromised.
Both are wrong.
What actually happened is that the barrier to entry collapsed over the last decade. Website builders like Wix, Webflow, and Squarespace democratized design. Platforms like GitHub and Netlify made hosting free. Domain registrars started offering discounts. Suddenly, the person with zero coding knowledge could build something that looks professional.
I've built websites four different ways now: the expensive WordPress way, the drag-and-drop way, the code-it-yourself way, and the hybrid way. Each taught me something different about what actually matters.
What Are You Actually Building For?
Before I recommend tools, you need to answer this honestly. Are you building a portfolio? A blog? An online store? A landing page for something you're testing?
Because the tools change based on your answer. A portfolio site has different needs than a store. A personal blog doesn't need the same infrastructure as a SaaS landing page. I used to pick the "best" tool universally. That was stupid. Pick the right tool for your thing.
The Free vs. "Free" Problem
Free website builders often make their money on "limited" free plans. You get subdomains (myblog.wixsite.com instead of myblog.com), limited storage, forced branding, weak SEO tools. It's bait and switch, mostly.
The genuinely free options — like static site hosting on GitHub Pages or Netlify — require a bit more elbow grease. They're free because they're betting you'll outgrow them and eventually pay for something. Or you'll refer paying customers. Either way, they're not losing money on you.
I prefer tools that are truly free and don't actively work against you when you're starting out. That narrowed my list significantly.
The Three Paths (Pick Your Own Adventure)
Path 1: The No-Code Route (Fastest, Easiest)
If you want a website live in an hour with zero technical knowledge, this is it. I'm talking about Webflow's free plan or GitHub Pages with a simple template.
Here's my actual workflow:
Using Webflow Free Plan:
- Go to webflow.com and sign up (free account, takes 2 minutes).
- Skip the tutorial if you're impatient like me. Start with a blank canvas.
- Use their drag-and-drop editor to add a header, hero section, text, images. It's intuitive enough that I didn't need to watch a tutorial.
- Customize colors and fonts using their inspector panel (right side).
- Publish to a Webflow subdomain for free (yourname.webflow.io).
- If you buy a domain elsewhere ($10-15/year), point it to your Webflow site in settings.
The catch: Webflow's free plan limits you to 5 projects and shows a small Webflow badge. Their paid plans ($12+/month) remove these limits. If you're just testing or building your first site, that's fine. If you're scaling, you'll feel the friction.
My honest take? Webflow's free tier feels like a tease. It's good enough to learn on, not good enough to stay on long-term unless you're strict about project limits.
Using Wix Free Plan:
Wix is simpler but dumber. You pick a template, drag sections around, add content. That's it. No flexibility beyond what the template allows.
I tested this three years ago. It felt limiting even then. The free plan includes forced Wix branding, limited storage (5GB), and weak SEO tools. If you're building a quick portfolio and never updating it, sure. Otherwise, you'll outgrow it in weeks.
Path 2: The Hybrid Route (Best For Blogs And Content Sites)
This is where I'd actually build my own blog today. Use a static site generator (free, open-source) + GitHub for hosting (free) + Netlify for deployment (free).
I know that sounds technical. It's not. Here's the actual process:
Step 1: Pick a Static Site Generator
I use Hugo or Jekyll. Both are free, both turn your writing into a real website. Hugo is faster if you have hundreds of posts. Jekyll integrates with GitHub better. For a beginner, Jekyll feels more forgiving.
Don't worry if you don't know what these are. Think of them as engines that convert your writing into a website.
Step 2: Get the Code Running Locally
You'll need to install some software on your computer. If you use Mac, this is easy. Open Terminal, run a few commands. I could walk you through it, but honestly, the Jekyll docs do it better than I can explain here.
On Windows, use WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) or just use a pre-built template on GitHub instead.
Step 3: Push to GitHub
Create a free GitHub account (github.com). Upload your site code there. GitHub is just cloud storage for code, but it's free and powerful.
Step 4: Deploy to Netlify
Connect your GitHub repo to Netlify (netlify.com). Every time you update your GitHub code, Netlify automatically rebuilds and republishes your site. It takes 30 seconds to set up.
Your site is now live at a free Netlify subdomain (yourname.netlify.app).
Step 5: Add Your Own Domain (Optional)
Buy a domain from Namecheap or GoDaddy ($10-15/year). Point it to Netlify. Done.
The upside: Your site loads fast. You own your data. No forced branding. You learn actual web skills in the process.
The downside: It takes longer to set up. You need to be comfortable with code, even if you're not writing much of it. If you hate the command line, this isn't for you.
I actually built my current blog this way. It costs me $12/year for the domain and zero dollars for hosting and deployment. The time investment was maybe 4 hours, including learning.
Path 3: The DIY Route (If You Want To Learn Code)
This is overkill for most people, but if you actually want to learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, go this route.
Use freeCodeCamp or Codecademy to learn the basics (free). Build your portfolio site from scratch in HTML. Host it on GitHub Pages (free).
This takes weeks, not hours. But you'll understand how the web actually works.
I don't recommend this unless you're genuinely interested in web development as a skill. For your first website, it's like learning to drive by building a car.
The Setup That Actually Works
Let me be specific. If I were building a portfolio or blog right now, here's exactly what I'd do:
| Component | My Choice | Cost | Why |
|---|---|---|---|
| Website Builder | Jekyll + GitHub | Free | Full control, no forced branding, you own everything |
| Domain | Namecheap | $12-15/year | Cheap, reliable, easy to manage DNS |
| Hosting | Netlify | Free | Automatic deploys from GitHub, CDN included, fast |
| Email (Optional) | Gmail | Free | Use Gmail with your domain via MX records (free) |
| SSL Certificate | Let's Encrypt | Free | Automatic with Netlify, your site will have HTTPS |
| Analytics | Plausible or Fathom | Free tier (limited) | Privacy-respecting, simple, not creepy like Google Analytics |
Total cost: $12-15/year for the domain. Everything else is free.
I could be wrong about this being the best setup for everyone. Maybe you want simplicity more than control. In that case, Webflow free plan or a custom domain with Wix is reasonable (though you'll likely upgrade soon).
The Things That Surprised Me
Building websites has changed more in the last five years than in the five years before that. The surprise isn't that free tools exist. It's that they're actually good.
Five years ago, "free hosting" meant slow servers and reliability issues. Now Netlify, GitHub Pages, and Vercel run faster than paid hosting from 2010. The infrastructure became commoditized. The real cost is your time learning the tools, not the actual servers.
What also surprised me: most people don't need what they think they need. You don't need dynamic databases. You don't need WordPress. You don't need a CMS with a fancy admin panel. Most blogs, portfolios, and small projects work better as simple, fast sites built with static site generators.
And here's what disappointed me: even the "free" options have limits that feel artificial. Webflow caps projects. Wix forces branding. The true free options (Jekyll, Hugo, GitHub Pages) require technical knowledge that gates out non-technical people. There's no perfect solution, just trade-offs.
My Take
Here's My Honest Verdict:
If you're building your first website in 2025, the free path is actually the smart path. Not because paid tools are bad, but because you don't know what you need yet. Spend $12 on a domain and zero on hosting. Use Netlify or Webflow free. Build something, launch it, see what happens. In six months, you'll know whether you need to upgrade to Webflow pro, switch to Squarespace, or stick with free tools forever.
I used to think paid tools were safer because you get "support." That's nonsense. Paid tools are better for specific use cases: e-commerce (Shopify), membership sites (Memberful), or massive scale. For your first site? They're overkill.
What surprised me most: how many people I meet who "always wanted a website" but thought it was expensive. It's not. It's never been cheaper to build, and the quality ceiling is higher than it's ever been. The only real cost is your time.
I'm confident enough to say: if you're not spending money on your first website, you're making the right call. The person to worry about is the one who spent $500 on a Wix site in 2024 and learned nothing in the process.
Verdict
Should you build a website for free? Yes. The only reason not to is if you're building an online store (use Shopify free trial or Wix), in which case you'll need paid features. For everything else — portfolio, blog, landing page, resume site — the free path is not just viable, it's genuinely better.
My recommendation: Start with Webflow or Jekyll + Netlify, depending on your technical comfort. Buy a domain from Namecheap. Launch in a weekend. Learn what you actually need over the next three months. Upgrade then if it makes sense. Most people won't need to. Some will. Both are fine.
The cost of entry to the web in 2025 is essentially zero. The barrier is just your willingness to learn. And that's lower than it's ever been too.
Published by Dattatray Dagale • 22 August 2026
0 Comments