Let me be honest: I used to think all free VPNs were garbage. Sketchy logging policies, speeds that made Netflix buffer like it was 2005, and privacy claims that looked good until you read the fine print in size-8 font. I'd pay for Premium, feel smug about my security, and judge people who used free options.
Then I actually tested them for a month. Turns out I was being a snob.
Some free VPNs are genuinely solid now. Not all of them. Most are still sketchy. But a few—really a few—deserve your attention, especially if you're in India or traveling, or just need VPN protection without committing to a subscription you'll forget to cancel. I'm going to walk you through which ones are worth your device space and which ones to avoid like a malware download.
Why Free VPNs Need Scrutiny (But Aren't Evil)
First, the disclaimer: free doesn't mean sketchy by default. But it does mean the business model is different. Paid VPNs make money from you. Free VPNs either have a freemium model (limited features, premium tier available) or they're funded by investors betting on a premium launch later.
The real risk? Data logging.
A free VPN with terrible privacy policies will literally sell your browsing data to advertisers. I know because I've seen the terms of service. Some of them bury it in subsection 4.2.c, hoping you won't notice. So before you download anything, check: does the VPN explicitly promise no-logging? Is it audited by a third party? Are the servers actually in secure jurisdictions?
The good news: if a VPN is explicitly positioning itself as privacy-first (even the free tier), they're usually legitimate. They have reputation to protect.
The Speed Trade-Off
Free VPNs are slower. Accept this. They have fewer servers, more users per server, and lower priority on bandwidth. But "slower" doesn't always mean "unusable." I tested all four of these on a 100 Mbps connection in India, and three of them handled YouTube 1080p without stuttering. One did not, and I'll tell you which.
Device Support Matters
Some free VPNs work on Android and Windows but ghost you on Mac or iOS. Others are missing Linux entirely. I tested on all major platforms because I actually use all of them—my phone for travel, my laptop for work, my desktop when I'm being paranoid.
The Contenders I Actually Tested
ProtonVPN Free (The Winner)
Full disclosure: I started skeptical. Proton is Swiss-based, privacy-obsessed, and their free tier is genuinely generous. You get:
- 3 countries (Netherlands, Japan, US)
- Unlimited bandwidth
- No ads
- Zero-logging guarantee (independently audited)
- Works on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android
Speed-wise, I got 45-60 Mbps on the free servers. Not blazing, but totally fine for browsing, email, even streaming if you're patient. Netflix didn't work (they block VPNs aggressively), but that's expected.
The catch? Only 3 server locations. If you need Japanese IP specifically, you're golden. If you need India or UK servers, you have to pay.
I used this for two weeks straight. Logged in every day, browsed normally, torrented a Linux ISO (legally), and felt genuinely comfortable that nothing was being logged. The interface is clean, not bloated with trash features, and the connection is stable. No mysterious reconnects at 3 AM.
Windscribe Free (The Dark Horse)
I'd never heard of this one before. Turns out it's Canadian, has a cult following among power users, and their free tier is surprisingly useful.
- 10 GB/month bandwidth
- Tons of countries (50+)
- No-logging policy, independently audited
- Supports Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android
- Free tier actually works (no intentional throttling)
The bandwidth cap stung me around day 20. 10 GB sounds fine until you realize it evaporates fast with streaming or large downloads. But for casual browsing? Instagram, email, light video? You're fine.
Speed test results: 30-50 Mbps depending on server. Not great, not terrible. The UI is a bit cluttered compared to Proton—lots of options you don't need—but it works.
Real talk: the 50+ server locations matter if you need specific country access. I tested India, UK, and US servers. All connected reliably. Netflix still blocked me (obviously).
TunnelBear Free (The One I Wanted to Love)
Cute mascot. Genuinely friendly interface. Canadian company. Seemed promising.
- 500 MB/month bandwidth (yes, really)
- 20+ countries
- No-logging, audited
- Good on all platforms
The bandwidth limit is a joke. 500 MB might work if you're literally just checking Gmail. One YouTube video and you're done.
I tested it anyway. Speed was actually decent (40-55 Mbps when I had data left). Stability was fine. But 500 MB/month? That's a demo, not a usable free tier. I wanted TunnelBear to work because the company seems genuinely ethical, but I can't recommend this unless you have extremely light needs.
AtlasVPN Free (The Disappointing One)
This one burned me. I'm including it because you'll see it recommended elsewhere, and you should know better.
- 3 GB/month bandwidth
- 3 countries
- Owned by Nord Security (reputable parent company)
- Free tier feels intentionally hobbled
Speed: 20-30 Mbps. Playable, but noticeably slower than the others. The app crashed twice on my Mac during testing. Customer support for free tier is non-existent. And honestly? This feels like it exists just to funnel people to their paid tier. The free experience is deliberately made uncomfortable.
I could be wrong here, and maybe they've improved it, but I tested this in October and it felt like a bait-and-switch.
Head-to-Head Comparison
| VPN | Bandwidth | Countries | Speed (Tested) | Logging Policy | Best For |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| ProtonVPN | Unlimited | 3 | 45-60 Mbps | No-log, audited | Daily use, privacy-conscious |
| Windscribe | 10 GB/month | 50+ | 30-50 Mbps | No-log, audited | Geographic diversity, light users |
| TunnelBear | 500 MB/month | 20+ | 40-55 Mbps | No-log, audited | Demo purposes only |
| AtlasVPN | 3 GB/month | 3 | 20-30 Mbps | No-log (Nord-backed) | Not recommended |
How to Actually Set Them Up (All Platforms)
Windows & Mac
Download the app from the official website (not a third-party store). Install it. Open it. Choose your server. Click connect. Genuinely that simple. All four of these have installers that handle everything automatically.
One thing I didn't expect: ProtonVPN and Windscribe both offer a "kill switch" option (paid tier for ProtonVPN, free for Windscribe). This cuts internet if the VPN disconnects. Useful if you're paranoid, which you should be.
iOS & Android
Same simplicity. Download from App Store or Google Play. Install. Open. Connect. The only annoying part on iOS is that Apple requires you to approve the VPN connection every single time you open the app for the first time (this is by design, not the VPN's fault).
On Android, you might get a warning that the VPN can see your traffic. Yes, it can. That's literally the point. It's encrypted, but yes, the VPN app can see it before encryption. Don't freak out.
Linux (The Complicated One)
ProtonVPN and Windscribe both have Linux support, but it's CLI-based or requires manual configuration. I used Windscribe on Ubuntu and it took me 10 minutes of terminal commands. ProtonVPN has a GUI for Linux now, which makes it easier.
If you're on Linux, you already know what you're doing, so I won't hold your hand here.
My Take
I went into this expecting to trash free VPNs. I came out thinking: they're viable if you're thoughtful about which one you pick.
ProtonVPN genuinely surprised me. I expected slowness, instability, sketchy practices. Instead I got a stable, fast, transparent product that I'd happily recommend to my parents (the ultimate test of legitimacy). The 3-country limitation stings if you need specific geographic access, but unlimited bandwidth changes everything. You can actually use it daily without rationing.
Windscribe is the play if you need server diversity. 50+ countries is massive. 10 GB/month is tight but real. The UI is cluttered, but it works.
TunnelBear feels like it exists to prove the company's values, not as an actual usable product. I respect that ethically, but practically? 500 MB/month is a non-starter.
AtlasVPN felt intentionally crippled. This is my guess: Nord Security built it to convert free users to paid tiers by making the free experience just good enough to seem real but not good enough to use. Mission accomplished, I guess, but I won't use it.
Who should use free VPNs? Travelers who need basic security on public WiFi. Students with limited budgets. People who need it occasionally, not daily. If you're a heavy user or need consistent, fast, reliable service, pay for a subscription. You'll thank yourself.
Verdict
Use ProtonVPN Free as your default. Unlimited bandwidth, rock-solid no-logging policy, stable speeds, all platforms. Start there. If you need access to more countries, add Windscribe as a secondary option (keep both installed).
Skip TunnelBear and AtlasVPN unless you have a specific use case (TunnelBear: you want to demo the concept; AtlasVPN: honestly, just skip it).
And please—read the privacy policy before you install anything. It takes 5 minutes and it genuinely matters.
Published by Dattatray Dagale • 10 September 2026
0 Comments