Your Note-Taking App Is Probably Costing You Too Much Money

Your Note-Taking App Is Probably Costing You Too Much Money

I spent three years paying $10 a month for Notion. Every month, the charge hit my card, and every month, I told myself I'd finally organize my life properly. I didn't. Then I tried Obsidian. Then Evernote. And somewhere in that mess, I realized I'd been solving the wrong problem.

The real question isn't "which app is best?" It's "which app will you actually use, and what are you willing to pay for the privilege?" Because here's what I've learned: the fanciest note-taking app in the world is useless if you hate opening it.

The Setup Test That Changed Everything

Before I get into the nitty-gritty, let me explain how I actually tested these three. I didn't just click around for 20 minutes. I spent two weeks with each app doing the exact same workflow:

  • Capturing notes from meetings (voice and text)
  • Building a project tracker
  • Creating a personal knowledge base
  • Syncing across my phone and laptop
  • Searching through old notes
  • Exporting data if I got bored

This matters because most reviews test features. I tested pain points. There's a difference.

Notion: The Beautiful Trap

Notion is gorgeous. I cannot say that strongly enough. When you first open it, your brain immediately thinks, "Finally, an app that makes me feel smart." The templates are slick. The database functions are ridiculously powerful. You can create a personal wiki that looks like it belongs at a tech startup.

For exactly two weeks, I loved it.

But here's the thing about Notion that nobody talks about: it's slow. Not "slightly sluggish" slow. I'm talking about that half-second delay every time you click into a page. That little spinning loader on your phone when you're just trying to jot down a quick thought. Multiply that by 50 times a day, and you've got a friction machine.

The real problem? I became more focused on the structure than the content. I spent four hours building a "project dashboard" with linked databases and filters. I used it once. The flexibility of Notion is also its curse—you spend 30% of your time configuring, 70% wondering if you configured it correctly.

And yes, the pricing. $10/month for the Personal Pro plan. That's $120 a year. For notes. I could buy a decent mechanical keyboard for that.

Who should use it: People who want a second brain and have the patience to build it. Project managers who need interconnected databases. Students building study systems. Anyone who enjoys organizing more than actual note-taking.

Evernote: The Veteran That Refuses to Age

Evernote's been around since 2000. It shows.

I actually used Evernote seriously from 2015 to 2018. Came back to it recently expecting it to feel ancient. It... doesn't? The app is genuinely straightforward. You open it, you type, it syncs. No philosophy. No database theory. Just notes.

The free version gives you two devices. The paid version ($14.99/month, or $99.99/year) gives you unlimited devices, better search, and PDF annotation. The search is legitimately excellent—I found a note from 2019 by typing three random words from it, and Evernote found it instantly.

But Evernote has a legacy problem. It feels stuck in 2015. The interface is functional but dated. The mobile app is clunky. There's no real-time collaboration. And honestly? It's slow too, just in a different way—not laggy, but the app takes a while to open, and the UI feels heavy.

Plus, the yearly subscription is $99.99. For a note-taking app. Even if you use it religiously, that's hitting your wallet twice a year.

Who should use it: People who already have years of notes in Evernote and don't want to migrate. Users who want simple, reliable note-taking without learning curves. Professionals who need solid search and annotation features.

Obsidian: The Dark Horse That Actually Wins

Obsidian is the app that broke my understanding of what "note-taking" could be.

It's a local-first, markdown-based note app. Translation: your notes live on your computer. They sync via whatever cloud service you choose (Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud—or don't sync at all). They're stored as plain text files. This is either incredibly appealing or completely off-putting, depending on who you are.

I'm in the appealing camp. Here's why.

First, speed. Obsidian is fast. No spinning loaders. No half-second delays. Click a note, it opens. Type, it appears. This might sound minor until you've lived with slower apps—then it feels like someone handed you 10 extra hours a week.

Second, the "graph view" is genuinely cool. It visualizes connections between your notes, showing you relationships you didn't know existed. Nerdy? Absolutely. Useful? More than I expected.

Third, it's cheap. Like, stupidly cheap. The core app is free. The optional $96/year license for Obsidian Sync (their cloud backup service) is optional. Most people use free alternatives. Even if you pay for Sync, you're still spending less than one month of Notion.

Fourth—and this matters—you own your data. Not as a concept, but literally. Your notes are markdown files. If Obsidian dies tomorrow, your notes still exist on your computer. You can open them in any text editor. This is not paranoia. This is sanity.

The downsides: there's a learning curve. Markdown syntax. Building your own vault. The plugin ecosystem is powerful but can feel overwhelming. And honestly? It's not great for real-time collaboration. If you're working with a team, this isn't your app.

Who should use it: Knowledge workers, writers, developers, students, anyone who writes daily. People who like owning their tools. Users comfortable with markdown (or willing to learn). Anyone tired of paying subscription fees.

Head-to-Head Comparison

Feature Notion Obsidian Evernote
Cost (yearly) $120 (Pro) or $180 (Team) $0 (free) or $96 (Sync) $0 (free) or $99.99 (Premium)
Speed Slow (noticeable lag) Very fast Medium (takes time to open)
Learning Curve Steep (lots of options) Medium (markdown + plugins) Minimal (very intuitive)
Collaboration Excellent (real-time) Weak (not designed for it) Good (sharing and notes)
Search Quality Good (keyword-based) Excellent (fast, local) Excellent (industry-leading)
Data Ownership Cloud-based (Notion's servers) Yours (markdown files) Cloud-based (Evernote's servers)
Mobile Experience Solid app, slower than desktop Good (third-party apps available) Functional but dated
Pro Tip: Before committing to any app, spend exactly 7 days with it using your most common workflow. Don't test features—test friction. Count the number of times you think "this is slow" or "I don't want to open this right now." That number matters more than the feature list.

The Real-World Scenarios

If You're a Student

Use Obsidian or Evernote free tier. Obsidian if you want to build a knowledge base around your courses. Evernote if you want something that just works without thinking about it. Don't pay for Notion or Premium Evernote unless you genuinely need collaboration or PDF annotation.

If You Work in a Team

Notion is your answer, despite the speed issues. Real-time collaboration, databases for project tracking, team wikis—it's built for this. Evernote's collaboration tools are basic. Obsidian isn't designed for teams at all.

If You're Building a Personal Knowledge Base

Obsidian wins decisively. The graph visualization, the local speed, the permanent data ownership—it's built for this exact use case. You'll spend time learning it, but that investment pays back within a month.

If You Just Want to Capture Thoughts Fast

Evernote free tier or Obsidian. Both are simple and don't get in your way. Notion's overhead will frustrate you.

My Take

Here's my honest verdict: I switched to Obsidian three months ago and haven't looked back. Not because it's perfect—it's not. It's less polished than Notion, less established than Evernote, and it requires more technical comfort. But it's fast, it's cheap, and most importantly, it doesn't feel like I'm renting my thoughts from a company.

I used to think Notion was the obvious winner because of its visual appeal and power. I was wrong. That power makes it bloated for 80% of people. Notion is built for people who want a second brain. Obsidian is built for people who actually want to use a second brain.

Evernote surprised me by still being solid, but it's aging. The pricing doesn't match the innovation. If you're already deep in Evernote, stay. If you're choosing new, skip it.

The biggest surprise? The free Evernote and free Obsidian are genuinely enough for most people. Paid plans matter less than we think they do.

Verdict

For most people: Obsidian (free tier). It's fast, you own your data, and the free version has everything you need. There's a learning curve, but it's worth it.

For teams or heavy visual workflows: Notion. Accept the slowness and the cost. It does things the others can't.

For simplicity-first users: Evernote free. It's dated but functional. Only upgrade to Premium if you need multiple device syncing.

Whatever you choose, stop paying for tools you don't use. Download the free version. Use it for a week. Then decide. Your wallet—and your actual productivity—will thank you.


Published by Dattatray Dagale • 11 September 2026

Post a Comment

0 Comments