I've been cycling through note-taking apps for six years. Seriously. Notion, Obsidian, Evernote, Apple Notes, OneNote, Bear—I've paid for them, abandoned them, come back to them. And I've noticed something: most people pick the wrong one because they're seduced by features they'll never use.
The honest truth? There's no single "best" app. But there is a best app for you—and it's probably not the one you think it is right now. Let me walk you through exactly how I use each of these three, where they actually shine, and where they genuinely disappoint.
Setting Up Notion: Beautiful but Demanding
Notion is the app everyone buys a $15 course about. That should tell you something.
Here's how I actually use it. I open Notion, click "New" at the bottom left, and I'm in a workspace. My process:
- Create a database (Database → Table)
- Add properties: title, date, category, status
- Create a cover image (optional, but Notion makes this hard to resist)
- Link it to a calendar view for deadlines
This takes about 8 minutes for something simple. And it looks incredible. Notion's interface is genuinely polished—there's a reason designers drool over it.
But here's what happens in week three of using Notion: you realize you set it up wrong. Your categories don't align with how you actually work. Your database is overstuffed. You tinker for an hour trying to fix it. Sound familiar?
The Notion Sweet Spot: Projects and Collaboration
Where Notion actually wins is when you're managing something with multiple people or multiple moving parts. I use it for client projects—it's my project hub. Here's exactly why:
My client "Database" has fields for: client name, project status, deadline, deliverable type, and linked notes. I can filter by status ("In Progress"), see everything due this week, and share a read-only view with my team. Notion's sharing settings are robust. You can give someone access to a single database, nothing else. That's genuinely useful for privacy.
The offline experience is terrible, though. Notion requires internet. You're offline? Good luck accessing old notes. Plane mode? Nightmare.
Where Notion Fails Me
Quick daily notes in Notion feel bloated. I don't want to create a database entry every time I capture a thought. Notion's "Quick Capture" exists, but it's clunky—you're still routing information into the structured system. It's like using a filing cabinet to store sticky notes.
And Notion's free tier has real limits. If you're sharing databases across workspaces or need more automation, you'll hit the paywall at $10/month. Worth it for some people. Wasteful for others.
Obsidian: Chaos That Actually Makes Sense
Obsidian feels like the opposite of Notion. No fancy UI. No databases. No "proper" structure. Your notes live in plain text files on your computer. That's the entire philosophy.
Here's my actual workflow in Obsidian:
- Open Obsidian (it opens to my vault—a folder on my Mac)
- Ctrl+N for new note (it's instant)
- Type freely—no formatting required
- Type [[note name]] to link to another note
- Close. Done.
That's it. Five seconds from opening to capturing a thought. No friction.
The magic happens when you have 50+ notes. Obsidian's "Graph View" shows how your notes connect. You'll see clusters forming—ideas linking naturally to related ideas. It feels less like a filing system and more like watching your brain materialize on screen. I could be wrong, but I think this is why people get obsessed with Obsidian (pun intended).
How I Actually Use It Daily
I have a "Daily Notes" folder. Every morning, I hit Ctrl+Alt+N and Obsidian creates a note dated today. I write three things: one thought I want to remember, one problem I'm solving, one win from yesterday. Takes two minutes. No formatting. No structure. Pure capture.
For reference material—articles, code snippets, research—I create permanent notes with a timestamp in the filename (20250124-article-title.md). These live in a "Reference" folder. When I'm writing something and remember a related idea, I type [[article-title]] and Obsidian highlights the link. Click it. Read. Link back. Intellectual ping-pong with your own brain.
Obsidian also supports local sync. Your vault stays on your device. You own it. You can sync via iCloud, Dropbox, or Git if you want to be fancy. That's the opposite of Notion, which lives on Notion's servers.
The Obsidian Tax
Obsidian's learning curve is steeper than it appears. You're comfortable writing free-form text—cool. But linking takes discipline. You have to remember to type [[brackets]] around relevant notes. Miss this habit, and your graph view becomes useless. It becomes just a folder of text files.
There's also a plugin ecosystem. You can customize Obsidian heavily, but that assumes you want to spend an evening setting up Obsidian instead of, you know, using it.
And if you're on Windows or using Obsidian across five devices? Syncing gets annoying. Obsidian's official Sync service is $10/month. That's the same price as Notion.
Evernote: The Reliable Workhorse Nobody Mentions
Evernote is the app everyone used in 2014 and quietly abandoned. It's not sexy. It's not beautiful. But I still use it for one specific thing: web clipping.
Here's why. I'm reading a blog post or a Twitter thread, and I want to save it. In Evernote, I hit the web clipper button, select what I want to capture, add a note ("Why this matters: machine learning applications"), and it's saved. Instantly searchable. The original formatting is preserved. I can find it months later by searching keywords.
My actual Evernote usage:
- Install the Evernote web clipper extension
- Open any article
- Click clipper icon → Select full article → Add tags
- Done. It's now in my "Inbox" notebook
- Weekly, I go through inbox and move clipped articles to topic notebooks (Design, Writing, Tech)
Where Evernote Shines
Evernote's search is genuinely good. I once searched "that article about Netflix's recommendation algorithm from two years ago" and found it in three seconds. OCR on images works. You can clip a photo of a handwritten note and search for text within it.
The free tier is reasonable. You get 2 devices syncing, unlimited notes, and 60MB monthly uploads. The paid tier ($12/month) removes those limits.
The Evernote Problem
Evernote feels like it's running on a treadmill at the same speed for the last decade. It's not broken, so they don't innovate. The UI is dated. Nested notebooks would be useful, but they're missing. There's no graph view, no linking system. It's fundamentally a filing cabinet, not a thinking tool.
I've also had syncing issues on mobile. Sometimes a note doesn't appear immediately. Sometimes it appears twice. Small glitches that add friction.
Comparison: The Honest Table
| Feature | Notion | Obsidian | Evernote |
|---|---|---|---|
| Best For | Projects, databases, teams | Personal knowledge, daily notes | Web clipping, archiving |
| Offline Access | No | Yes (fully) | Partial |
| Setup Time | 15-30 min | 5 min | 2 min |
| Learning Curve | Medium | Medium-High | Low |
| Free Tier Quality | Good (limited) | Excellent | Good |
| Cost (if paid) | $10/month | Free + $10/month for Sync | $12/month |
| Collaboration | Excellent | None (by design) | Basic |
| Mobile Experience | Good | Good | Solid |
How to Actually Decide
Forget the feature comparison. Ask yourself these three questions instead:
1. Are you organizing solo or with others? If you're managing a project with teammates, Notion wins. Full stop. Evernote and Obsidian are personal-first tools.
2. Do you need offline access? Working on trains, planes, or areas with spotty internet? Obsidian or Apple Notes. Notion is a cloud-first product and it shows.
3. What's your capture speed preference? If you want frictionless capture (just write), Obsidian. If you're saving web content, Evernote. If you're building a structured dashboard for reference, Notion.
That's it. Ignore the feature lists on their websites. They're all lying by omission about what they're actually good at.
My Take
I used to think I needed to pick one app and commit. I'd pick Notion because it seemed more "professional," then six months later I'd abandon it because capturing a simple thought felt like filling out a form.
Here's what surprised me: the best system is not one app—it's the permission to use the right tool for each job. I spend about 70% of my note-taking time in Obsidian because it's friction-free. I spend 20% in Notion managing actual projects. 10% in Evernote clipping articles. I pay for exactly one of them (Obsidian Sync, because I have three devices). The others are free tiers I'm not tempted to upgrade.
The honest truth that nobody tells you: Evernote is perfectly fine. It's not cool anymore, but it works. Notion is beautiful but requires discipline to maintain. Obsidian feels like it's written for people who already think in connected notes—if you don't, it'll sit unused.
Pick the app that matches how you actually think, not how you wish you thought. Weirdly, that's the hardest part.
Verdict
For students and casual note-takers: Obsidian. Free, offline, and you own your data. No learning curve for basic usage.
For professionals managing teams or projects: Notion. Yes, it's $10/month, but the collaboration features and database functionality pay for themselves in time saved.
For people who clip web content constantly: Evernote. It's the only one designed for this. Pair it with Obsidian for daily notes.
For most people reading this: Start with Obsidian's free tier for one month. If you miss structure and databases, switch to Notion. If you feel cramped, you were never going to be a note-taker anyway—and that's okay.
Stop overthinking. Try one. Use it for 30 days. If it doesn't fit, try the next. The "perfect" note-taking system is the one you actually use, not the one with the most features.
Published by Dattatray Dagale • 06 October 2026
0 Comments